Hi guys! I haven’t updated the ol’ blog in a bit, so I thought I would share a cupcake recipe I tried out last week. If you know me at all, you know I will find almost any excuse out there to make sweet treats (it’s an addiction, really), and when I found out one of my dear co-workers was leaving for a different job opportunity I knew I had to send her on her way with well wishes and lots of frosting- naturally. She had requested I make something with Oreos and cream cheese, and it turns out that combination is a definite winner! I hope you all enjoy these as much as my co-workers and I did!
OREO CUPCAKE RECIPE FROM COOKING CLASSY
Recipe makes 24 cupcakes
- 24 Oreos
- 16 Oreos, chopped into small bits
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
OREO CREAM CHEESE RECIPE ADAPTED FROM GIMME SOME OVEN
- 3 (8 oz.) bricks cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups powdered sugar (or more if needed to thicken)
- 12 Oreos, chopped into small bits
How To Make The Oreo Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- Carefully split 24 Oreos in half, leaving cream filling attached to one side (chop and set aside filling free cookie sides for later use). Place one Oreo half, with cream filling side up, at the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, use a handheld or stand mixer on medium speed to whip together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy (about 4 minutes). Add in egg whites, one at a time, mixing until combined after each addition.
- Measure milk into a liquid measuring cup, then add sour cream and vanilla to milk and whisk until combined.
- Working in two separate batches, add flour mixture followed by milk mixture to butter mixture, mixing until combined after each addition. Fold in 16 chopped Oreos.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners (pouring it over the tops of the Oreo halves), filling each 2/3 full. Then bake for 23-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool inside pan for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to finish letting them cool down to room temperature.
- Frost the top of the cupcakes with the Oreo cream cheese frosting as desired.
How to make the Oreo cream cheese frosting:
- Using a handheld or stand mixer on medium speed, cream together cream cheese and butter for 1 minute or until completely smooth.
- Add in vanilla extract and salt, and continue mixing until combined.
- Lower speed to medium-low and gradually add in powdered sugar.
- Increase speed to medium-high and beat until combined.
- If needed, add in more powdered sugar until you reach desired consistency.
- Mix in 12 chopped Oreos (along with leftover chopped Oreo halves) on medium speed until distributed evenly in frosting.
Have a blessed weekend!