Hello, everyone! I am so excited for this post, because I am finally sharing a bit about the wedding Seth and I have been planning together since our engagement in November. To get straight to the point, we have decided on a smaller wedding, and while this isn’t the norm for most couples, we are going with what feels most comfortable and genuine for us and our relationship dynamic. I thought the easiest way to share more insight into this decision would be to write this post, so I hope you enjoy getting to know us a little better through this, and I can’t wait to hear your thoughts + all the small wedding ideas! We love you guys, and are so thankful for your love + support! Hope everyone’s week is off to a great start!
- Togetherness: Anyone else been to a wedding where so much is going on that it feels the bride + groom can’t be fully present? Large weddings come with a large list of things to cover, from greeting and speaking to everyone, to the loud music of the dance floor drowning out conversation, it’s hard to really experience the intimacy and togetherness Seth and I are wanting to experience together in our ideal wedding setting. As fun as those big wedding parties can be, we both decided a long time ago that we wanted something just as special as other weddings we have been to, but with a lot more simplicity and a lot less madness happening around us – for lack of a better word, ;).
- Timing Is Everything: I have said it before, but I believe it to be true that timing really is everything. Everyone goes through different seasons of their lives, and I have been dealing with my own season of anxiety for what feels like quite some time now. As hard as it is for me to open up and discuss such a vulnerable topic, it definitely comes in to play when making decisions. Luckily for me, Seth has really been someone to lean on and vent to when I need it most, and he knows that being surrounded by a ton of people celebrating just wasn’t something that would blend well with some of the anxieties I face. Choosing a small wedding has cut out those extra worries and really helped me to enjoy planning our special day instead of stressing over it.
- Personality: While I am the anxious one, Seth is definitely the more quiet of the two of us. When there is a big dance party happening, he is happy to sit and enjoy it from a distance rather than to join in. He is very quiet and calm spirited, and while he will share a few sweet dances with me here and there, he just isn’t the type who enjoys a big loud dance. We decided to keep it simple and share our first dance together as husband and wife, along with the father-daughter/mother-son dances, and then just enjoy dinner + conversation with our company. While this may sound boring to some, it is right up our alley with the minimalist, intimate wedding we have envisioned.
- Celebration Of Love: While I know all weddings are a celebration of love, we just really wanted our wedding to be a very romantic, sweet time with few people there, so we can pay the most attention to each other and our guests and be able to remember every moment. A wedding day only comes around once, and we really just want to make it a reflection of us as a couple, and tie in things that are special to us. We found a little spot in Palo Duro Canyon to hold the ceremony, and I just love it because we enjoy hiking together, and we chose some shades of grey + dusty blue for our colors that reminds us of getting engaged by the ocean. We are also getting catering done from a favorite place of ours to go when we’re together. It’s just all been really fun tying who we are, and the things we love as a couple into the wedding as much as we can.
- Feels Like Home: I’m sure that anyone who has ever been in love can agree with me when I say that a person can feel like home. It is one of the reasons I am so excited to be Seth’s wife and live where he is soon because he is my home! I know from conversations that Seth feels the same way, and at the end of the day, rather than having an extravagant wedding, we just want our big day to feel comfortable, relaxing, and like home. Our small wedding will be around 50 people, most of which are family and only a few of those people friends. We want everyone reading this to know that while wanting a small wedding, it is bittersweet, because we have a lot more friends we could invite, but can’t, in order to maintain the atmosphere we’ve wanted for a long time. We can’t wait to start our life together, and so appreciate every kind word + all the support! Cheers to friendship and love!