Hi everyone! Is it just me, or is everyone just about ready for Spring? I think I checked out right after Christmas, and have been daydreaming of warmer temperatures ever since! As much as I enjoyed the winter season, I have so many exciting things coming up in Spring/Summer, and can’t wait to dive in to all that those seasons have to offer. I figured since I have been so ready for sunnier days, I’d share one of the most flavorful, summery, sugar filled cupcakes I’ve ever tasted! The special thing about these are that the cake is bursting with lime flavor while the icing is a sugary watermelon dream. I swear these will make you forget the winter blues and get your taste buds geared up for all the summer treats! The best part- they’re super simple to make! Hope everyone is having a spectacular day, and thanks for stopping by!
RECIPE FROM BABY CENTER
Recipe makes 18 cupcakes
LIME CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 box lime Jello (not sugar free)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/4 cup water
WATERMELON FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 packet Watermelon Koolaid mix
- 1/2 cup milk (divided)
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
How To Make The Lime Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, Jello, egg whites, oil, and water for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners, filling each 2/3 full. Then bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool inside pan for several minutes before transferring to wire rack to finish letting them cool down to room temperature.
- Frost the top of the cupcakes with the watermelon frosting as desired.
How To Make The Watermelon Frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together butter, powdered sugar, Koolaid mix, and half of milk. Gradually add additional milk until you reach desired frosting consistency. Beat until smooth.
- Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips once topped onto cupcakes.
Enjoy your flavor-bursting cupcake and dream for the warmer days ahead!